Drove from Aiken to Great Smoky Mountains National Park in southeast Tennessee. See pix below. On my many trips from Louisville to Aiken in the spring of 2002 I had passed through the eastern side of the park on I40 and was impressed with the natural beauty. On this trip, we drove through the park on Route 441. The speed limit is 35 and no trucks are allowed. Unfortunately it was raining and foggy. So we didn't get to see much of the sights. During much of the drive the trees are very close to the road and form a green tunnel. Magnificent, even with the rain!
On exiting the park on the north side, we were in Pigeon Forge, TN. Tacky, 'nuff said.
Currently stopped for the night at a Pilot Truckstop in Livingston, KY.
Today's route, for those of you following along on you road maps:
SC 78 to US 1 to I 20 West to GA 104 to Pollards Corner. GA 67 to Lincolnton. GA 79/72 to Elberton. GA 17/29/51 to US 441. US 441 through park, to I 40. I 40 to I 670 (loop around Knoxville) to I 75 to Livingston, KY.
Finally, a word from from the Navigator.
Well, actually several words.
And this is verbatim:
"Hey June. Thanks for the Bil-Jac. Yummy!!!"
Today we traveled from Aiken, SC to Livingston, KY.
|Entrance to the park. Even in the rain there was a line of folks taking pix of this. Met folks from TN (of course :), PA, OK and Louisville, KY.||There was a guy flyfishing in this stream in the rain. Talk about hardcore :) He said he catches mostly Brown trout, usually between 8 and 14 inches long. Now there's some good eating!||The guide book says this is the most scenic of the scenic overlooks. Well, maybe when it's not raining and foggy.|
$9 - $1.649/gallon in Elberton, GA
$32 - $1.789/gallon in Sevierville, TN
Food, ice, etc.: $10
1. I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.
2. You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.
3. I have plenty of talent and vision; I just don't give a damn.
4. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
5. I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.
6. Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
7. The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
8. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
9. What am I? Flypaper for freaks!
10. I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.